Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Parenting Skills

I have never wanted to be parent. I use to justify this statement about myself by saying that I am too selfish to care for someone else. The thought of being responsible for another life other than my own and his or her future is a daunting task. Sadly, it was not until last week that I realized that these feelings and justifications automatically made me a better parent than some of those who already have children. It was not until that moment that I realized that my reason for not wanting to be a parent was not only a reason of selfishness, but also that I have high expectation for those who call themselves parents.

                  This whole ordeal occurred last Friday. I was hoping to sleep in, having finished one of my finals the day before. Unfortunately, at 8 a.m., I received a phone call from a friend who is a senior in high school. Knowing he wouldn’t be calling me that early unless it was important, I answered the phone. It turned out he was calling me because he was running late that morning and his mother left him home to find his own ride to school. Knowing that his mother is a ‘stay-at-home mom’ and has two younger children to worry about, I did not think too much about it.  Being an understanding friend, I climbed out of bed, threw on some clothes, and went to his house. Upon my arrival at his house, I noticed that his father’s truck was still in the driveway. As I honked my car horn, I saw his dad stick his head out the front door. I then began to wonder, ‘Why is his dad not taking him to school?’

After pondering this question, I became really angry at his parents. Not being a morning person myself, there were many mornings before I was able to drive that I had to have my parents literally rush me to school because I was running late. Although, on those mornings, my parents would be really angry at me for not managing my time better they cared for me enough to see the bigger picture and that getting me to school was the priority. Even if my friend’s parents were trying to teach him a lesson about holding up other people’s time, I question their ideals and priorities – would not making sure your child gets to school, no matter how late they are, the most important task? And, what does it suggest to one’s child if you pawn them off to someone else to take them to school when you have not even left the house yet? I never wanted to be a parent because I know I am a selfish person, but it saddens me to know that some parents are not smart enough and still too selfish to care for their own child. 

No comments:

Post a Comment