Sunday, February 15, 2009

Blame my mother

I'm sure everyone has noticed that there is a health food craze. At almost every grocery store there is an organic food or health food section. People either totally go with the trend or are completely scared of it. There are also, of course, the people the people who have been hippie organic food eaters before the trend. I am one of those people who is scared of health food who just happens to be good friends with a hardcore hippie health food eater. 
A few weeks ago I went shopping at a health food store with my hippie friend. It was definitely an experience. The store smelled funny and there were about a billion different food labels I had never seen before. Plus the other health food shoppers ( I call granola people) were really interesting to watch. 
At one point during my shopping experience my hippie friend asked me if  I wanted anything to or sample any of the food the store had out for people to try. I quickly responded with "Hell no!! Food like this scares me. No, thank you." My friend insisted that I was missing out, but i still refused. After that we checked out and left the store. 
Later on I wondered why I'm so "scared" to try health food. It's obviously supposed to be good for a person's body and it was probably better for me than the crap I've been eating. I have realized that it is because I  didn't grow up eating health food. Going to stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's is completely out of the norm for me. My mom never bought organic or health food because it was too expensive, or she just shopped at Von's or Albertson's and bought whatever was on sale. I mean, my mom never fed me unhealthy food 100% of the time, I was just never fed hippie food. 
Since my hippie food experience I have learned to accept the granola people food culture, and am no longer scared of it. Some of the food is actually really tasty and none of it is going to kill me.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that part of what you are eating now is in connection to how you were brought up and what you were eating throughout your childhood. In contrast to what you mom would buy, my mom was the health nut and always had organic food supplying our cupboards and pantry at home. I would constantly be complaining that my friends had Doritos and fruit roll ups but my mom didn't budge on buying anything other than all organic. I'm not sure why she insisted on this and I can't say that I have become a total health nut but it has definitely influenced the way i eat and the foods that I buy and don't buy at the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete