Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Conflicting Advertisements

Like most of us this week, I am home for spring break. I was driving around town and stopped at a stop light in popular intersection. I look up and there is a billboard with two different ads on it. One is for the ever popular McDonald's (as if they need to advertise), and the other was for Clinica Sierra Vista, a local healthcare center. The ad for the healthcare center was trying to promote healthy eating habits and serving wholesome foods to growing children. Call me crazy, but those ads seem to be advocating two completely opposite things. DUH!!! What I want to know is what idiot at the billboard company decided to put both of those ads together. At least put them on opposite sides of the intersection. By placing the ads together it obviously is not helping either of the companies get business. 
A similar happened to me earlier this week, except on television. I was watching some late night TV , and one of those sex hotline ads came on. I, like most, am completely grossed out and try to ignore them. Right after that ad came on, an a commercial for a sexual abuse hotline was shown. It said, "Stop sexual abuse now! You are not alone". The two are not complete opposites, but they are not exactly helping the other promote what they are trying to advertise. 
All I'm saying that advertisers should think about when and where they put each of their advertisements. Companies obviously pay good money to promote themselves. For some, they pay to contradict their ads. I find it annoying, and it is just unfair.    

No comments:

Post a Comment