Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The ever wonderful Bakersfield, Ca

I was reading my local newspaper this morning, and there was an article about what college kids miss most about my town when they move away. The answer was very simple: food. I'm from Bakersfield, California and when I mention people either respond with "That sucks", or "Where's that?". I completely admit that Bakersfield is just your average joe town and very ordinary. The food on the other hand, is not. There are many local restaurants that have been around as long as I can remember, and can only be found in my town. I can honestly say that Bakersfield has the best Italian and Basque restaurants. The most well known Italian restaurant is called Luigi's. EVERYBODY in my town has been there at least once, and everybody loves it. Anything you order is delicious. 
Right up the street from Luigi's is a Basque food place called Woolgrower's. They serve many different Basque dishes, but the thing that most people get is called "The Set-up". It comes with all you can eat tomato salad, beans, pickled tongue, and vegetable soup. I know it sounds really simple, but its definitely is the best food in Bakersfield. Each time I go there, there is always a line out the door. I think that what makes the food so delicious, is its simplicity. There is nothing artificial or complex about eating a meal at Woolgrower's. It is just some good home cooking that everyone can enjoy. 
Another home town place I enjoy is Dewar's ice cream. It makes homemade ice cream and candy. I have not been able to find any place in Long Beach, and that makes me a little sad. It is nothing like the typical Cold Stone or Baskin Robbin's. The two things I enjoy most is their Black and White dish and their peppermint ice cream. A black and white consists of a scoop of vanilla with chocolate syrup underneath a scoop of chocolate topped with marshmellow. The peppermint ice cream has just the right combination of mint and milk, and is not too sweet. 
These places are just a few many great local places to eat in Bakersfield. If anyone is passing through the central valley, you should stop at one of these places.    

No comments:

Post a Comment